Friday, February 19, 2010

the day my heart melted for an hour straight...

so today i was a really big girl... i had an interview for my internship that i will be starting in a month. it started by me hailing a cab all by myself, somehow finding the school, conducting an interview ALL in spanish and then finding a taxi back to my house. although this little field trip was only a small victory for me, the time that i spent there was absolutely incredible.

for a little background knowledge, the school i went to is call fundación el triángulo and it is a school for children with some sort of developmental or mental delay (like autism and downs syndrome) from age 3 up until their teenage years. first of all, this beautiful, friendly woman comes up to me and tells me she'll be showing me around the facility and conducting my interview... turns out she was a speech therapist there?! COOL! so she starts out by showing me the three and four year old room (i never stopped smiling the whole time) where i was bombarded with adorable children all wanting to know my name and to give me a hug. she then showed me the room where the children with autism work, and the rest of the elementary school. then she walked me up to the secondary school were the kids were a bit older and learning some pretty cool life skills. the first group were "pretending to work in a chocolate factory" where they were going through the whole process of making the chocolate, wrapping them, and then packaging them so that they could sell these chocolates to raise money for the foundation. the next group were pretending to work in an office and working on their paperwork skills. another group was learning music and yet another was working on art. i am really not kidding when i say my heart melted for an hour straight... between the ladies working at this foundation and the beautiful kids attending school there, i absolutely fell in love every second of my time there. i don't want to wish my time away here, but i'm so excited for when i get to start there.

if anyone is super bored, here's the link to the foundation and they have some adorable pictures and videos on their website:

http://www.fundacioneltriangulo.org/index.html

that is all for now... i hope everyone has a wonderful weekend back in the US and all the other countries you all are in. MUCH love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment